4. Morgan’s Lobster Shack and Fish Market (downtown Truckee). Getcha fresh lobsta’ in… Truckee? Yup, Morgan’s is famous for its succulent, classic lobster roll or how about a lobster grilled cheese? The fish market features halibut, snapper, ahi tuna, salmon and crab too.
5. Marty’s Café (downtown Truckee). This quaint, breakfast/lunch spot serves up house-made granola; Israeli cous-cous with coconut milk, mango, raisins and almonds; ‘Southern Sloppy Joe’ on garlic bread or chicken breast with brie and basil-honey mustard heroes.
6. Red Truck Café (Truckee Airport). Originally a hugely popular food truck, Red Truck has ‘craveables’ like the ‘Naanwhich’ (naan, chicken tikka masala, hummus, labneh, fattoush, hilbeh and tahini yogurt), samosa of the day, tacos with tzatziki, slaw, cucumber pico, crispy quinoa, not to mention Truckee’s most scrumptious cookies– plus free plane watching!
7. Mikuni Sushi (Village at Northstar). Renowned in Sac, Mikuni crafts fresh, yummy, saucy sushi. Must-try’s include: illegal asparagus, BBQ albacore, ‘black and white’ tuna toro, ‘Pimp My Roll’ with shrimp, tuna, salmon, avocado, macadamia nuts and more! Here on a Thursday? Snag 3 signature rolls for just $33.
8. The Mill Juice Shop (Truckee). Grab n’ go with their all-organic, cold pressed juices and smoothies, raw foods, Hub Coffee and espresso, as well as organic herbal teas. Gotta gets include the ‘Rockaway Beach’ and ‘Good Vibrations’ juices or acai bowl.
9. Bite American Tapas (Incline Village). Cowgirl Creamery cheese plate, Tuscan white bean dip, bacon-wrapped dates with Point Reyes blue cheese, bison shortrib sliders, grilled filet mignon bites are just some of our fave small plates at this big yum restaurant.
10. Truckee Tavern (downtown Truckee). Serving up birds-eye views of historic Truckee, guests can savor pork belly, baked raclette, chops n’ steaks with a classic wedge salad. ‘Bacon N’ Bourbon Night’ happens every Tuesday with fun pork specials and discounted whiskey flights.
11. Crystal Bay Casino Steak and Lobster House (Crystal Bay). Guests will delight in the area’s most extensive wine list, ‘tableside preparation’ and traditional-with-a-twist dishes like roasted bone marrow, lamb meatballs, Sonoma County veal and New Orleans BBQ’d lobster.
12. Truckee River Winery (Truckee). How ‘bout some brie with your bocce? This award-winning mountain winery recently won silver medals for their Pinot Noir and Malbec at the SF Chronicle Wine Competition. But beyond fine varietals, guests can enjoy bocce, decadent light-bites such as cheese platters, artisan sandos, paninis and more.
13. 1882 Bar & Grill (downtown Truckee). This cozy café is tucked into The River Street Inn, alongside the Truckee River. Stop in for a cocktail, stay for the views and simple BBQ/American cuisine.